April 20, 2009

A New Journey Begins-POTTY TIME

We made the trip again to Cincinnati to see Dr. Levitt, this time for a check up. Dylan had the dreaded rectal exam but with the wonderful news that there is no scar tissue, which is fantastic. Dr. Levitt and I discussed Dylan's bowel habits which at the moment is loose consistancy and more frequent then normal children. Dr. Levitt has us trying Pectin, to thicken the stool for two weeks and then after the two weeks we are to add a little imodium to slow the colon down. Since Dylan is 3 now he also wants us to at least try potty training by the time we go back to see him in six months. Im not sure how well Dylan will do with this, he is absolutely terrified of the toilet. I have encouraged him and tried to get him to sit on his potty chair, just for fun, and he screams and cries, so actually having to poo in it isnt gonna make him happy either. But we are just gonna take our time, give it a shot....no need in rushing or pushing. When the time is right he will master it, until then we are just on a trial and error experiment with meds and trying to find ways to get Dylan to use the potty. Other than this all is well at the moment, and I am more than grateful Dylan is doing so well for a change. Our Hirschsprungs journey is far from over, just starting a new chapter which is titled POTTY TRAINING.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Catrina
    My name is Alicia...I live in CT and have a 4 year old w/H.D.-some similar experiences as you ...he also has about 1/3 of his colon left after the pull-thru which was done at 8 weeks old. The good news to pass on to you is even w/that little colon, he became toilet trained about 1 year ago.
    I discovered your blog tonite after doing a search for Hirschsprung's and "pectin". I was just on the phone w/a nurse from Cincinatti's children's hospital at the Colorectal Center. She suggested to try 1 Tbls of pectin in the morning and 1 Tbls at night. Is this similar to your Dr.'s suggestions? Any tips on how to mix it in food/drink? Also wonder if you are using the liquid pectin or the powder.
    Thanx for the blog...it's always nice to know another mom is out there dealing w/HD....like I said thought...there is lots of hope for Dylan for training despite the lack of most of his colon!
    Alicia, mom to Will in nCT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your site while googling info on hirshsprungs. My son was diagnosed with HD at age two, he had surgery a few months later in 2004. He had several episodes of entercolitis and hospital stays during the first year post op. Other than that his surgery was a success. I remember potty training. God bless you and your family. It gets better with time. He was about 4 before he was completely trained. My son is now 6, and goes to school just fine. We still wear pull ups at night and have issues with soiling occasionally. But it gets better. Looking back it was so hard, but it made me and my family so much stronger and it was almost like a gift. I appreciate every little thing in life that my little boy can do thanks to his doctors. Remember it can always be worse than it is. Good luck to you and Dylan.

    ReplyDelete