April 18, 2010

We have accomplished our biggest Hirschsprung's Milestone!



I officially have a potty trained 4 year old little boy....I must confess I could not be any prouder!!!! Dylan has done really well with the laxative and fiber supplement, this is helping him go twice a day. He has done so well, and seems to be so proud of himself too. He likes his big boy underwear!!! Dylan has been potty training for 11 days, although we had that one episode of a blockage when we first started once we go that cleared, things became more regular thanks to the laxative and fiber supplement. He had a few accidents in the beginning but after the 3 or 4 day mark he did quite well. Our only problem is that Dylan seems to "hold" it...I find him crossing his legs and basically have to drag him to the toilet at times. But he is doing excellent and I honestly didn't expect things to go as good as they have. I am so very thankful!!!!!!!

He seems to be so proud of himself every time he gets on the toilet to go, when hes finished he has the biggest smile and of course he likes to see MOMMY be proud of him and tell him what a good job he's done ....I am truly blessed!!!! Hopefully this is the light at the end of the tunnel with our Hirschsprung's Disease journey, although I know things will creep up later, and he will probably still have minor issues with his intestines, but over all I think he has conquered his Hirschsprungs Disease battle and has showed it, HE IS THE BOSS....Prayers to all of you who are still struggling with HD and potty training. And to those who haven't started potty training, please use Dylan's story for inspiration and hope and know that nothing is impossible and things do get better. Dylan has had a rough 4 years, but to see him come this far and accomplish potty training has been so worth the wait. My heart is filled with compassion for all of you going down this same road...May God bless you and help you on your Hirschsprung Journey...

7 comments:

  1. Wow well done Dylan what a big boy and well done Catrina for sticking with it.It is hard and we all know these kids will have there ups and downs but with Mums and Dads like us they will conquer all they want to achive in life xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catrina!!!!!!!!! Congratulations to all of you! What a great time for your family! We are in the middle of training right now.....we're on month 3. Reading stories like this, gives me HOPE!!!!! Thanks for posting. And again, congratulations! I think a party is in order!
    --Amy Temples
    Mom of Ali 3 yrs old (LSHD)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Catrina!! I love that photo of Dylan too - what a gorgeous little man!

    Michaela xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, as you can tell I am so proud of him...Yes Amy, a potty party is in order now! lol...Will do that soon! Now I am looking forward to emailing the nurse at Cinci tomorrow to cancel bowel management, I am super excited to be able to do that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Dylan & Catrina & to the rest of your family!! I actually went today to the store & got the ex-lax & I got Benefiber instead of Fiber Chioce. Conway was not liking the tablets. I tried to tell him it was candy, but he wasn't going for it. We'll see how this week goes. Then on Monday we have a follow up appt with the surgeon. I'll let you know how things go!! Congrats again to all of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the laxative and benefiber works for Conway. Just don't give up, at first the laxative and fiber tablets was giving Dylan diareaha, probably because his body wasn't use to them. Now they have helped him become regular and since the first few days of using the laxative and fiber supplement he goes twice a day and his stool is actually formed, which never happened before trying them. Best wishes Cheryl, I hope it works for Conway!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was happy to find your blog. My daughter has HD as well as Down syndrome. I have been potty training for 6 years now with on going set backs. We did do surgery, and she did live. Now it is like climbing Mt. Everest (although that sounds easy to me now after these past 6 years). I am glad to find that I am not alone with HD, but feel like I am living with an impossible goal right now. My goal is simply to say, "I did it! I successfully potty trained my daughter." That goal is just a dream, and I don't know if I will ever be able to make it happen. But your blog gives me a little glimmer of hope. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete